ISSN: 1309-8780
e-ISSN: 2822-3985

Musa Kadıoğlu

Ankara Üniversitesi, Dil ve Tarih-Coğrafya Fakültesi, Arkeoloji Bölümü, Ankara/TÜRKİYE

Keywords: Ionia, Teos, Sanctuary of Dionysos, Propylon, Augustus.


Although the Sanctuary of Dionysus at Teos has attracted the attention of many travelers and researchers since the beginning of the 18th century, the totality of the sanctuary complex can only be understood after the recent investigation carried out by the Teos Archaeological Excavation Team since 2010. We now know that the sanctuary complex consists of the Temple of Dionysus, the trapezoidal temenos that was surrounded on all four sides by stoas in Doric, Ionic and mixed Doric-Ionic orders, the altar with stairs to the east, and the newly discovered propylon, which constitutes the main entrance to the sanctuary. On the basis of both the building inscriptions and the architectural decoration, construction activity in the sanctuarry of Dionysos at Teos started in the last quarter of the 3rd century BC and continued until 120-130 AD. The present article attempts to shed light on this long construction period of the Sanctuary of Dionysus and argue that Emperor Augustus supported the restoration/completion of the stoas of the temenos and the construction of the main entrance gate (propylon) of the sanctuary. Because of his many building activities in the city, Emperor Augustus could have been called ktistes (founder of the city) on coins minted at Teos. The Latin building inscription of the propylon, which is preserved in multiple pieces, makes it possible to date this structure to 3 BC and the style of the Corinthian capital corroborates this date. To this end, another well-dated structure may be added to the study of Roman architecture in Asia Minor.