ISSN: 1309-8780
e-ISSN: 2822-3985

Mehmet Özhanlı

Süleyman Demirel Üniversitesi, Fen Edebiyat Fakültesi, Arkeoloji Bölümü, Isparta/TÜRKİYE

Keywords: Pisidia Antiokheia, The God Men and Sanctuary, Treasure Houses, Paganism, Christianity.


The subject of this article is the “Treasure Houses” located in the Sanctuary of the God Men Antiokheia, Pisidia. The temple and Sanctuary are 5 kilometers east of Antiokheia and at the top of the 1600 meters high Mountain Gemen. These buildings are lined side by side at the northeastern corner of the temple to the side of the road leading to the temple to the east. Excavations at the site which started in 2017, were completed in 2018 and seven buildings were unearthed. Artifacts made of ceramic, glass, terracotta, bone, ivory, limestone and marble, as well as bronze and silver coins that have been placed in the last phase of these buildings were found insitu. Identical structures with templum in antis planned entrances on the South were measured 3,30x4 m, and preserved wall heights are about 1.5 - 2 meters. The larger northern walls of the buildings are approximately 1 m wide, while other walls are on average 70 cm in thickness. Cult objects were placed on and in front of a podium with a height of approximately 1 m which was built in front of the northern wall of buildings number 1, 5 and 6. There are no podiums in other buildings.

There is not enough archaeological and epigraphic data on the earliest stages of these buildings, whose last phase of use was during the reign of the last pagan emperor Julianus.